We are currently seeking a part time Kitchen Manager – Chef who will be responsible for overseeing all food preparation for the process in line with laid out guidelines while ensuring high quality standards. This position serves Mountain Peak Life-Nederland Area Seniors and will be responsible for planning and preparing menus for our twice weekly congregate lunch service, weekly home-bound, senior meal delivery program and needs to be available for future events/dinners, fundraisers, etc. that could be outside of normal scheduled hours.
This position will report to the Director.
The Kitchen Manager-Chef must be able to successfully perform and fulfill the essential job functions and duties listed below:
- Lead and manage all aspects of MPL-NAS kitchen operations to ensure all grant deliverable are met while streamlining kitchen processes to ensure high quality service delivery to our stakeholders
- Work collaboratively with all Community Center staff, the Nederland Food Pantry, other kitchen renters of the shared space with an emphasis on high quality kitchen service, cleanliness, and service delivery
- The Chef will work collaboratively with our Boulder County AAA grant funders to develop creative menus that meet the federal nutritional requirements as well as striving to provide plant based, gluten free options are in the monthly menu rotation
- Responsible for working with the Director to recruit, hire, train, and guide a part time Kitchen Assistant
- Working with the Director and Assistant Director to track budgets, invoices, kitchen costs while working to identify areas of potential waste
- Managing inventory, rotation to that all necessary ingredients are stocked for service for our twice weekly congregate lunch service, as well as our weekly home delivery meal program for homebound seniors
- Setting regular cleaning standards for the kitchen while ensuring sanitation standards are met
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strengths based kitchen leadership of the MPL-NAS meal service programs while overseeing kitchen operations
- A passion for creating high quality food products while ensuring streamlined service delivery
- Serve Safe certified or the ability to obtain certification within 6 months
- Boulder County Star Program certified or the ability to obtain certification within 6 months
- Ability to lead and inspire staff
- Excellent written and conflict resolution skills
- Financial understanding of budgets, cost control and inventory management
- Strong culinary background and skills required
- Some weekend and evening availability is required (with advance notice)
- Reliable transportation is required.
- Knowledge of MPL-NAS and the Nederland/Peak to Peak region.
Working Environment/Physical Activities
The position combines both sedentary and active tasks, including exerting up to 50 pounds to lift, carry, push, pull or move objects. Other activities including filing may result in reaching, bending and standing. Extensive typing and data entry requires use of fingers, wrists and sitting for long periods of time in close proximity to a computer screen. Job requires reading, writing, keyboarding, hearing, verbal communication and visually observing situations. Environmental factors include working closely with others, working with office machinery and exposure to noise. Must have the ability to drive a motor vehicle. Job may require exposure to a variety of weather conditions and temperatures, slippery/uneven surfaces. Job requires working alone and as a member of a team.
Education, Experience and Formal Training
- High school diploma or GED certificate
- Experience in back of the house kitchen operations, hospitality, or a similar field (2+ years preferred)
- CPR certification (preferred)
- Valid driver’s license & proof of current automobile insurance
- If you use your personal vehicle for work purposes you will be reimbursed monthly in accordance with the ‘Mileage Reimbursement Policy’
- Flexible schedule
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
This is a part-time, 20-25 plus hour per week position to start at $22-$25/hr. After meeting all work plan requirements a three month review will be scheduled and the employee may be eligible for a performance raise.
Paid Time Off– Staff will receive PTO based on the average of hours worked per week. The accrual will be posted on your pay stub. Staff must complete their 3 month review before they can utilize their PTO. Staff can use their PTO for any reason.
Holidays– Staff will be paid for holidays that include: Christmas Day, New Years Day, MLK Day, President’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Veteran’s Day, and Thanksgiving. Staff will be paid for the holiday time based on the average number of hours worked.
Please, submit resumé and cover letter to Marnie Copeland – Director at:
*All duties and descriptions listed in this position description are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work which may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position. This position description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and the employee and is subject to change by the employer as the needs of the organization and requirements of the position change.
*It is the policy of the Mountain Peak Life-Nederland Area Seniors not to discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, sex, age, sexual orientation, national origin or disability related to a bona fide occupation qualification.